Trojans notch first win

Published 11:19 pm Thursday, September 8, 2011

Meadowview Christian School quarterback Dylan Lawrence tries to break free from Ellwood defenders. The Trojans prevailed 26-6 in the first meeting between the schools. -- Robert Hudson

By Robert Hudson

The Selma Times-Journal

After playing to a stalemate in the first half, it was the Meadowview Christian Trojans who would come out on top, as they defeated the Ellwood Christian Eagles 26-6 Thursday night at Wasden Field.

Email newsletter signup

The Trojans (1-3, 0-2) relied on some big plays in the second half to break a 6-6 tie and pull away from the Eagles (0-4, 0-2)

Meadowview coach John Glasscock said his team kept chipping away at the Eagles.

“We were persistent,” Glasscock said. “They came to play. They’ve got a good football team and a bunch of tough kids. Our kids just hung in there … and finally we just started taking over.”

Ellwood coach Mike Stokes said he’s proud of the effort his team gave.

“We played hard, just a few calls didn’t go our way,” Stokes said. “I’m proud of them. We fought hard, but in the end we kind of laid down and gave up, but that just comes from being young. We’ll be alright.”

After a scoreless first quarter, it was the Eagles who struck first as running back Denzel Smiley pounded it in from two yards out to make the score 6-0 with 8:22 left in the second, but the Eagles missed the two-point conversion.

But the Trojans would fight back, as tight end Michael Ward took a reverse 47 yards to the Eagles 12 yard line, and five plays later running back Joey Raybon took it in from 20 yards out to tie the game at 6-6 with 5:57 left in the second.

Early in the third the Eagles were backed up in their own territory due to penalties when Deriaun Glenn’s pass was intercepted by Raybun, who took it 23 yards for a touchdown to put the Trojans up 12-6 with 7:14 left in the third. Raybun would then run in the two-point conversion to make the score 14-6.

After stopping the Eagles offense on the ensuing possession, Raybun would answer the call again, as he scored another touchdown from 20 yards out to put the Trojans up 20-6 with 2:09 left in the third.

“The offensive line blocked real good and the holes just came open,” Raybun said.

“Teamwork was the key tonight.”

The Eagles were plagued by penalties all night.

They had 14 penalties totaling 117 yards.

Glenn led the Eagles rushing attack with 115 yards on 26 carries.

The Trojans rushing attack racked up 225 yards on the night.

The Eagles will be home at Memorial Stadium next Friday night when they play Sparta Academy at 7 p.m.

The Trojans will hit the road next Friday night to play East Memorial Christian Academy in Prattville at 7 p.m.

Print Friendly and PDF