Selma boys fall in extra period

Published 11:53 pm Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Rick Couch | Times-JournalTaking it To the Hole Selma High School’s Malcolm Riley looks for an open lane in Tuesday night’s 67-65 loss to Central-Hayneville. The Saints must now regroup for a Friday playoff game against Demopolis. -- Rick Couch

The start of the first period and the opening minutes of overtime were almost identical in Selma High School’s 67-65 loss to Central-Hayneville Tuesday night.

In both instances, the Lions scored the first five points to go up early. However, in the overtime period the Saints were unable to catch up.

After the rocky start, the Saints led most of the first half before allowing the Lions to slip back into the game. Turnovers, Selma head coach Woodie Jackson said, told the story down the stretch.

Email newsletter signup

“You can’t turn the ball over like we did,” he said. “We had a 12 point lead at one point and we just didn’t take care of the ball.”

After a tough start the Saints caught fire down the stretch of the opening period to pull ahead 15-13.

In the second period alone there were three lead changes. Both teams played tough defense and ended the half deadlocked at 28.

The third frame was all Selma. The Saints scored the first nine points of the period and held Central scoreless until the 2:27 mark.

Throughout the first eight minutes of the second half, Jackson said, the Saints were making solid decisions on offense.

“We were making the extra pass,” he said. “I was telling them in the locker room after the game that you have to know when to take jumpers.

“You have to know when to take your shot. We didn’t do that down the stretch.”

Heading into the fourth period with a 42-35 lead, it looked as if the Saints were in cruise control. Unfortunately, the Lions were in overdrive.

Central tied the game at 55 just before time expired to send the game into the extra period.

Again, the Lions jumped on Selma quick, and despite a strong push near the end, held on for the win.

Charles Eaton led the Saints with 15 points and 5 rebounds.

Malcolm Riley followed with 13 points and 12 rebounds.

The Saints hit the court again Friday at 7:30 p.m. when they take on Demopolis in the first round of the playoffs. Jackson said he doesn’t want the loss on his players’ minds.

“I told them it’s 0-0,” he said. again,” he said.

“It’s a new season.”