Selma City Schools announce Return to excellence plan
Selma City Schools announced a return to excellence reopening plan for the 2021-22 school year on Friday.
A press conference was held on Friday at the Selma High School media Center that announced COVID-19 guidelines.
Selma City Schools will open Aug. 16. All scholars are expected to attend school in-person unless they’re enrolled in Saints Virtual Academy for grades 6-12.
The SCS School Board also approved to repair Memorial Stadium bleachers for $48,000 in a agreement with the City of Selma to waive their fees over five years.
“We’re committed to opening schools safely,” SCS Superintendent Dr. Avis Williams said. “It’s very important to get vaccinated.”
Williams said that vaccinations are encouraged for teachers and scholars over the age of 12.
Williams said the state of Alabama doesn’t mandate individuals to get vaccinated.
Vacccinated individuals identified as a close contact will not have to quarantine as long as they remain asymptomatic.
Here are the other guidelines:
-Continued social distancing in the schools will be beneficial to mitigate the further spread of COVID.
– Masking is required for all staff, scholars and visitors in all schools and offices and while riding school buses.
– Temperature checks will continue for any persons entering SCS office and school buildings.
-Schools will be required to report suspected and diagnosed cases of COVID to ADPH.
-Individuals who test positive or are diagnosed with COVID will quarantine for 10 days.
– Subject to the following exclusions, school officials will notify individuals who are close contacts to a diagnosed COVID case as soon as possible and send them home for 10 days. However, asymptomatic close contacts who are vaccinated, who wear masks, or who have tested positive for COVID and recovered in the previous 3 months will not need to quarantine.
-. All individuals should practice frequent handwashing and respiratory etiquette.
– All students and staff who have symptoms of COVID should remain at home and be referred to their healthcare provider for testing and care.
– Routine, extensive cleaning will take place in all learning and office spaces.
– At this time, there are no restrictions on attendance at extracurricular activities.
– The SCS COVID-19 Dashboard will be updated weekly.
Williams also said that SCS will continue to partner with local health service agencies, including Rural Health and ADPH, to provide vaccination clinics.