Former Morgan Academy shortstop named top sports story
Gunnar Henderson signing with the Baltimore Orioles is The Selma Times-Journal’s top sports story of 2019.
The former Morgan Academy shortstop was a second-round pick of the Orioles in the MLB Amateur Draft. He signed a contract that included a $2.3 million bonus.
Here are the other Top 10 sports stories:
2. Morgan Academy’s run to its first-ever baseball title ended in a heartbreaking game 3 to Pike Liberal Arts in the AISA championship series.
3. Selma High offensive tackle Jeremiah Wright signed with Auburn University.
4. The closing of the City of Selma Parks and Recreation Department in July.
5. Morgan Academy golfer Jones Free won seven golf championships over the summer.
6. Three Dallas County public school teams madethe state football playoffs: Selma High, Dallas County and Keith High School.
7. Morgan Academy pitchers Jeremy Lee and Matthew Davis signed with South Alabama and Arkansas Little-Rock, respectively.
8. Morgan Academy won a AISA state golf championship.
9. Morgan Academy won a third straight AISA state tennis championship.
10. Former Morgan Academy softball player Kendall Veach ended Auburn career with second-team All-SEC honor and drafted in Chinese softball league. She played for a team coached by older brother, Hunter Veach.
Two former Dallas County athletes earned spots on the Alabama Sportswriters Association (ASWA) All Dallas County football squad. Autauga Academy... read more