Hunter receives 30-year prison sentence

Published 2:33 pm Monday, September 17, 2018

Larry Hunter was sentenced to 30 years of prison for his involvement in a shooting murder that involved a Selma High School student on Dec. 21, 2013.

Dallas County Circuit Judge Donald McMillan Jr. announced the verdict at a sentencing hearing on Monday at the Dallas County Courthouse. The case comes from the death of Alexis Hunter.  Hunter and her friend were robbed of their cell phones. Hunter was shot in the head, according to Selma Police Department reports.

Larry Hunter was charged with felony murder, meaning he had some involvement in the shooting. Trial for John Jones, the alleged shooter, is still pending. He could be charged for capital murder.

Email newsletter signup

At the time of the incident that occurred outside Selma High School, Larry Hunter was 18-years-old and Jones was 16-years-old. Alexis Hunter was 18-years-old at the time of her death.

Dallas County District Attorney Michael Jackson said McMillan made the right call.

“We thought it was a good sentence, given the serious material of this case and what’s currently going on in Selma,” Jackson said. “Right after Alexis got shot, they went out and robbed another woman of her cell phone and left Alexis lying there. It was cold-blooded. Hunter will have plenty of time to think about what he’s done. He’ll have his suitcase packed.”

The families of Alexis Hunter and Larry Hunter both testified at the trial.

Larry Hunter testified and said he regretted what happened to Alexis Hunter.

“I want to apologize to the family and anyone affected by the shooting,” Larry Hunter said. “If I had known this would’ve happened, I’d never went there. It hurts me to see how much I’m hated. It’s not in me to hurt anyone. My life has gone down since. I’m not a bad person. My heart goes out to her family.”

Joanne Hunter-Walker, Alexis Hunter’s mother, said she and her family were all pleased with McMillan’s verdict.  Tears streamed down their faces during and after the trial.

“My daughter’s death has taken a toll on the family,” Hunter-Walker said. “My husband has health problems. We feel the right decision was made. This gives us some closure.”

“Her death impacted me a lot” said Jaylisa Brown, Alexis Hunter’s cousin. “We were together all the time. If I had been with her, she’d be standing here today.”