Final two suspects in child shooting turn themselves in

Published 1:35 pm Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Two 19-year-old Selma men wanted in connection to the shooting of a 3-year-old last week have turned themselves in.

According to Selma Police Chief Spencer Collier, Kentrevious Washington and Adrian Richardson Jr., both of Selma, turned themselves in Tuesday morning to officers with the department’s Criminal Investigations Division.

Washington and Richardson were both wanted for attempted murder and shooting into an unoccupied building. Cassandra Jones, 39, was arrested last Friday and is being held at the Dallas County Jail on $1 million bond. She faces the same charges.

Email newsletter signup

The shooting happened on Thursday, March 8 around 7 p.m. at an apartment complex on the 1900 block of Marie Foster Street.

According to Sgt. Ray Blanks, witnesses said they saw Jones driving a tan SUV into the parking lot of the complex at a high rate of speed before shots rang out from the vehicle.

“Once in the parking lot of [the] complex, her son Kentrevious Washington came up through the sun roof of the vehicle and started shooting an assault rifle at the crowd of individuals on the sidewalk,” Blanks said in a press release.

“Jones then turned around at a high rate of speed and started shooting a gun out of the driver’s window along with her son at a mother and her 3-year-old child who is lying on the ground.”

Collier said the weapons used in the shooting were a high-powered rifle using 7.62 mm rounds and a heavy-caliber handgun.

Blanks said the child was grazed on the right side of his face by one of the bullets. The child’s injury was described as non-life threatening and he is expected to recover.

Blanks said Jones and Washington were both identified as shooters, while Richardson was identified as just being in the vehicle at the time of the shooting.

Jones made her first appearance in Dallas County District Court Monday before Judge Robert Armstrong. He set her bond at $1 million total. Half of the bond was for the attempted murder charge, while the other half was for the shooting into an unoccupied building.

Jackson described the crime Monday as one of the “worst” he has seen. Jackson said Washington and Richardson have first appearances scheduled for Wednesday. Jones will appear in court again on April 3 for a preliminary hearing.