Selma City Council should make same effort to bring back Battle of Selma

Published 11:46 am Thursday, February 15, 2018

The Selma City Council voted Tuesday night to allow organizers of the Bridge Crossing Jubilee to move the event back to Water Avenue for the 53rd anniversary of Bloody Sunday instead of having it across the bridge on private property.

The event was moved last year after a several-week dispute between the city and organizers over paying for in-kind services.

The council has also agreed to find money to help support the Jubilee. Councilman Michael Johnson said the city could contribute $7,000 to $10,000 from the Brown YMCA’s funds or from the city’s tourism budget.

The Jubilee, according to Sen. Hank Sanders, an organizer of the event, has agreed to pay $5,000 for city services for police protection and cleanup. We’re glad to see the city working with the Bridge Crossing Jubilee. Last year’s dispute was a mess and a black eye for the city.

Johnson said Wednesday the city will give the Battle of Selma the same treatment by helping fund it as well.

The Battle of Selma has been canceled the last two years due to a similar dispute over paying for city services. We hope battle organizers and city officials will come together to bring the event back. There are people in Selma and Dallas County that miss it, as well as people that traveled here to see it every year. Both of these events mean so much to our community, and they both deserve an effort from the city to continue their traditions.