Four people injured in three shootings over holiday weekend

Published 3:26 pm Tuesday, January 2, 2018

By ADAM DODSON | Staff Writer

Four people were injured in three shootings in Selma over the New Year’s holiday weekend.

On New Year’s Eve, a 31-year-old man and a 25-year-old woman were injured in a drive-by shooting on Water Avenue, according to officer Mark Neely with the Selma Police Department.

Email newsletter signup

Police responded to a report of shots fired around 11 p.m. at a home in the 1700 block of Water Avenue.

According to Neely, a group of people was inside a house playing a game of dominos when someone fired into the home from outside.

The man was hit in the hip and woman in the left buttocks. Both victims sustained non-life-threatening injuries and were treated and released from Vaughan Regional Medical Center.

Three vehicles were also damaged in the shooting. As of Tuesday morning, police had no suspects in the case.

“They said they don’t know who would target them because they don’t bother anybody,” Neely said. “They didn’t know the shooting was aimed at them.”

The other two shootings happened Saturday night into early Sunday morning when a 23-year-old man and 16-year-old boy were injured in separate incidents.

Police responded to a call of a 23-year-old shooting victim that had been brought into the hospital’s emergency room with a gunshot wound in his right shoulder.

Authorities continue to investigate, but the man told police he was driving a friend around in Selmont with the car windows down when they heard gunshots. The victim told police his friend was the one to realize he had been shot through the open window, and the men were able to drive to the hospital.

However, Neely said there was no blood in the car and the car didn’t appear to have any damage from bullets.

The third shooting — another drive-by into a home — happened in the 300 block of Gaines Avenue. A 16-year-old boy was injured by bullet fragments. The victim’s mother told investigators that the boy’s brother had been in an altercation with another group of people, according to Neely.

Paramedics treated the teenager at the scene for minor injuries, and he was not taken to the hospital.