Gun, drug sentence handed down

Published 7:09 pm Wednesday, May 10, 2017

A 30-year-old Selma man was sentenced to 15 years in prison Tuesday.

According to Dallas County District Attorney Michael Jackson, Kenyada Dukes was sentenced after he pleaded guilty to charges of certain persons forbidden to possess a pistol and two counts of first-degree possession of marijuana.

Jackson said Dukes was also recently sentenced to federal prison for possession/distribution of methamphetamine and possession of a firearm by a prohibited person (felon). He was sentenced to 18 months for each federal charge. Those sentences will run concurrently with his state sentence.

Email newsletter signup

“We are going to keep getting these gunslingers off the streets,” Jackson said in a statement.

According to a police report, Dukes was arrested on March 7, 2016, while agents with the Fourth Judicial Circuit Drug Task Force were assisting the U.S. Marshals Regional Fugitive Task Force, the U.S. Postal Service Investigator and the Alabama Law Enforcement Agency with executing federal indictments.

Dukes was on the front steps of a house on Furniss Avenue where agents were looking for someone.

The report stated Dukes dropped a set of keys that had a key to the house and a key to a Honda Accord parked in front of the house on it.

The report states, “Dukes stated that the residence was his mothers and he had came to do laundry. He stated he didn’t stay there but had a room in the house.”

Dukes allowed agents to look inside the house.

One of the agents could smell marijuana in front of the house, so a K-9 unit was called to the scene.

The dog alerted agents to something inside the car.

“Agents used the key from the ring found earlier to open the door of the Honda. The smell of marijuana was strong when the door of the car was opened,” the report states.

Agents found a handgun under the driver’s seat and another in the glove compartment. They also found marijuana and crack cocaine in the trunk of the car. Dukes was given a drug test by his probation officer, and after it tested positive, he was booked into the Dallas County Jail.

Dukes was also arrested in 2015 after an hour-long standoff at George Washington Carver Homes. He was charged with probation violation, hindering prosecution and being an ex-felon in possession of a firearm.

He was previously convicted of shooting into an occupied building and first-degree unlawful possession of marijuana.