Man shot in head Monday

Published 10:29 pm Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Local law enforcement is searching for suspects involved in a Monday night shooting that left a man critically injured.

The Selma Police Department responded to a call of a gunshot victim at the Vaughan Regional Medical Center around 9:30 p.m. Monday night.

The victim, a 19-year-old male, was shot at least once in the head in the 900 block of King Street, authorities said.

Email newsletter signup

Selma Chief Police John Brock said the victim was the passenger of a vehicle during the time of the shooting.

The driver of the vehicle then drove the victim to the hospital. He was later transported to the University of Alabama at Birmingham trauma center by helicopter.

“Last I heard, he is still alive and in critical condition at UAB,” Brock said.

Brock said he is unsure how many times the victim was shot and unsure of how many other passengers were in the vehicle at the time of the shooting.

“Detectives, right now, are interviewing witnesses and following up leads,” Brock said. “Hopefully, they’ll come to a conclusion [soon].”

Brock said there were multiple reports of shots fired on King Street that evening.

Anyone with information about the shooting is encouraged to call the detective division at (334) 874-2125 or the secret witness line at (334) 874-2190.

This is the second shooting Selma police have responded to on the same street in two weeks.

The evening of Thursday, July 7, officers responded to a domestic violence shooting on the 700 block of King Street.

In a previous report, Brock said responding officers attempted to enter the house after hearing gunfire inside the residence.

The suspect, 62-year-old Earnest “Scoop” Fells, of Selma, opened fire at officers as they attempted to make contact, injuring one. The officers returned fire, striking the suspect and killing him.

The officer who shot Fells was placed on paid leave pending the outcome of the investigation, according to Brock in a previous report, and the investigation was taken over by the Alabama State Bureau of Investigations.