U.S. Marshals apprehend murder suspect in Miami

Published 11:50 pm Tuesday, July 12, 2016

U.S. Marshals have apprehended the murder suspect in the Jermaine Tarver case.

Vardarius Hall, 23, of Selma, was arrested Tuesday by U.S. Marshals in Miami, according to District Attorney Michael Jackson.

“I knew he wasn’t going to be gone too long,” Jackson said. “It’s a relief for the public to know that the suspected killer is caught. It shows good coordination between the police and the [U.S.] Marshals and the Task Force and all these other agencies that are working together.”

Email newsletter signup

Hall is pending extradition back to Dallas County. He should be back in Dallas County sometime next week, Jackson said, and then will be scheduled for arraignment.

Since June 12, Hall has been sought as a suspect for the murder of 27-year-old Jermaine Tarver, of Lowndesboro, in police jurisdiction of Townes Circle following an altercation over personal property.

Within days after the crime, 19- year-old Jalysa Shanjetti Turner, 21-year-old Kenatta Shantae Wilson and 18-year-old La’Darris Dees were arrested and given various charges in connection to the murder.

Turner and Wilson were both charged first-degree hindering prosecution, a class B felony, for allegedly assisting Hall escape Alabama immediately following the shooting.

Dees was charged with capital murder, attempting to commit murder and discharging a firearm into an occupied vehicle.

Turner waved her case to the grand jury and will be presented in court within the next few months, Jackson said in a previous report.

Wilson’s preliminary hearing is set for August and Dees is expected to appear in court this month for his hearing.

Authorities believe on the night of the shooting Tarver was outside playing cards when approached by Hall about personal property. After Tarver and Hall exchanged some words, Hall retrieved a gun and began shooting at Tarver.

When returning to the vehicle — which contained Turner, Wilson and Dees — Dees opened fire at a second victim who was attempting to aide Tarver.

Investigators believe that after the suspects left the scene, Dees was dropped off before Turner and Wilson drove Hall to Oklahoma and then to Florida.

Tarver was transported to the Vaughan Regional Medical Center emergency room where he died from multiple gunshot wounds to the torso.

The second victim reported no critical injuries.