Bulldogs jump out to big lead, hold off Eagles

Published 11:02 pm Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Ellwood Christian’s Keonte’ Jones runs down the sideline during a game Tuesday at Memorial Stadium against R.B. Hudson.--Daniel Evans

Ellwood Christian’s Keonte’ Jones runs down the sideline during a game Tuesday at Memorial Stadium against R.B. Hudson.–Daniel Evans

By Justin Fedich | The Selma Times-Journal

R.B. Hudson completely dominated the first three quarters against Ellwood Christian. By the time the Eagles made it a game in the fourth quarter, it was too late.

The R.B. Hudson Bulldogs (3-0) rode a three-quarter shutout to defeat the junior varsity Ellwood Christian Eagles (0-1) 28-16 Tuesday at Memorial Stadium. Ellwood struggled in the beginning of its first game, but finally got into a rhythm late once R.B. Hudson let off the gas pedal.

Email newsletter signup

“The intensity was there in the beginning of the game and they executed well, but as the game went on, the intensity kind of fell,” said R.B. Hudson head coach Eugene Foster.

R.B. Hudson barely possessed the ball for five minutes of game time in the first half, but managed to take a 22-0 first half lead.

After muffing two straight punts, the Bulldogs took hold of their first possession with 1:25 left in the first quarter. Two plays later, Tre’derin Phillips took a 45-yard run for a touchdown.

R.B. Hudson’s defense followed the touchdown with its first of three forced turnovers on downs. The Bulldogs took over at the Ellwood 6-yard line. A few plays later, Nicholas Parnell extended the lead to 12-0 with an 11-yard rushing touchdown.

Tyreshon Freeman ran in the two-point conversion to give R.B. Hudson a 14-0 lead.

Parnell intercepted a pass with 4:03 remaining in the first half. One minute and 35 seconds later, Parnell caught a 10-yard touchdown reception to make it 20-0.

“Parnell did what Parnell usually does,” Foster said. “He just performed.”

Amarian Molette added the two-point conversion and gave the Bulldogs a huge 22-0 lead at halftime.

Just under two minutes into the second half, the Eagles forced a Molette fumble and took over possession. They couldn’t convert off the turnover as R.B. Hudson forced a turnover on downs with 3:31 left in the third quarter.

With 7:46 remaining in the fourth quarter, Phillips scored his second touchdown of the game on a 16-yard run.

R.B. Hudson took a 28-0 advantage, but Ellwood Christian wasn’t done playing just yet.

The Eagles returned the ensuing kickoff to R.B. Hudson territory for the second time in the game. A few plays later, Ellwood’s Keonte’ Jones took a handoff 40 yards for Ellwood’s first score of the game. Jones added the two-point conversion and Ellwood trailed 22-8 with 7:04 left in the game.

The Eagles forced a turnover on downs with 5:11 remaining in the fourth quarter.

Big runs from Derrick Edwards Jr. and Jones propelled Ellwood toward the end zone.

Jones punched it in again from three yards out with 1:44 left in the game and the score was 28-16.

The Eagles’ comeback ran out of time, but head coach Derrick Edwards was proud of the way his team rallied.

“I’m happy with what I saw, especially the way we finished the game and they fought to the end, so we’ll see them again and we’ll be a better team,” Edwards said.

Ellwood plays at R.C. Hatch Tuesday at 6 p.m. R.B. Hudson plays its homecoming game against Tipton Tuesday at 6 p.m.