Golfer passes out, taken to medical center

Published 11:27 pm Tuesday, June 16, 2015

A golfer participating in the Bud Burns Dixie Junior Championship collapsed shortly after finishing his round Tuesday and was taken by ambulance to Vaughan Regional Medical Center.

Tournament organizers said Anniston’s Trevor Lane was feeling better after getting to the hospital and getting fluids in his system. Lane passed out shortly after signing his card Tuesday.

“He was fairly ill here at the course,” said Bill Wilcox, executive director of the Alabama Junior Golf Association. “We got the paramedics to give him a couple of bags of IV fluid, and he is responding well to that. He will be fine, but it really wears you out when you get that dehydrated.”

Email newsletter signup

Lane, who was competing in the 17 and 18-year-old age division, shot an 83 Tuesday. Tommy Burns, PGA professional with the Selma Country Club, said Lane had made the trip down with another player’s family, but that his parents quickly drove down from Anniston after they heard what happened.

“He was white and he had lost all of his color and he wasn’t sweating,” Burns said.

“He was telling me he was sick as a dog, so I got some ice and poured it down his back and put an ice cold towel around his neck.”

Wilcox said he estimated that 1,200 kids play with tournaments with the AJGA each summer and they only have one or two incidents where a player gets overheated each year.

Temperatures were in the 90s on Tuesday and are expected to remain there for the tournament’s final day Wednesday.

Wilcox said he and other tournament officials will continue to express to participants how important it is to stay hydrated.

“Every time you pass a water cooler you’ve got to fill up your water bottle and drink it right away,” Wilcox said. “Carry a towel with you and get it soaked and put that around your neck and try to stay as cool as you can.