Southside rallies past Hayneville

Published 12:57 am Saturday, January 25, 2014

After trailing early on, Southside rallied past Central Hayneville Friday in a 70-66 win.

The Panthers took the lead with 1:02 left to play on two Khamari Gibbs free throws and never relinquished it, holding on for a big win.

“We played until the end tonight,” Southside head coach Cedric Brown said. “I couldn’t be more proud of our guys tonight. We finished the ball game, didn’t do everything right, but we finished the game and came out on top.”

Email newsletter signup

Central played aggressive and jumped out to a 12-2 advantage early in the first period but the Panthers never quit and battled back to take their first lead of the contest with 4:34 remaining before intermission.

Central’s Edmond Johnson sank three three-point buckets with under four minutes to play in the half to help give the Lions a 37-30 edge at the break.

But the third quarter was a different story.

Isaiah Coleman’s dunk highlighted a third quarter that the Panthers dominated, as Southside scored 22 points and took a 52-46 lead after three quarters.

However, the Lions were far from finished. Hayneville went on a 14-6 run to steal back the lead with 3:10 remaining in regulation, but Southside rallied right back.

Late in the game, Southside’s Antonio Rayford made two free throws to tie the game 64-64.

Gibbs immediately added two more and the Panthers went on top for good.

Je’von Hall led Southside with 20 points while Isaiah Coleman added 15 of his own.

The Panthers play Ellwood Christian Friday, Jan. 31.


Southside 53, Hayneville 43 (Girls)

Calvondrea Blackmon and Kionna Likely each scored 14 points Friday night as the Lady Panthers defeated Central Hayneville 53-43.

“I really love the intensity we’re playing with right now,” Lady Panthers head coach Jason Bothwell said.

“We’re showing some enthusiasm and playing with heart. Hopefully we can build on this win. It helps get ready for tournament play.”

The Lady Panthers jumped out to a 21-4 lead but took their foot off the gas and let Central back in the game.

The Lions had a late rally but failed to cut get within ten points.