Infant’s death now ruled a homicide

Published 12:53 am Saturday, May 19, 2012

Thursday’s death of a 6-month-old girl has now been officially declared a homicide following the findings of a preliminary autopsy.

According to Selma Chief of Police William T. Riley, investigators are continuing to interview those closely connected to the little girl and witnesses who might have been around when she suffered what proved to be her fatal injuries.

The name of the victim is reportedly, Janiyah Wilson. Lewis Brothers Funeral Home is coordinating funeral arrangements. Details have not been finalized.

Email newsletter signup

“The autopsy showed that there were significant head injuries that proved to be the cause of the infant’s death,” Riley said late Friday evening. “At this point, we are continuing to investigate what may have led to those injuries.”

Riley said detectives with the department were on hand in Montgomery during Friday’s autopsy and brought back the findings to the department and District Attorney Michael Jackson, who called the situation “tremendously sad.”

“Unfortunately, this is something we sometimes have to deal with in today’s society,” Jackson said. “We will see where it goes from here.”

No arrests have been made in the case, but it has been ruled a homicide by authorities.

According to police officials, the child died at Vaughan Regional Medical Center Thursday afternoon after being rushed to the facility by emergency medical units.

The child’s mother — who remains unidentified — reportedly called 911 Thursday afternoon while driving, saying her child was having difficulty breathing.

The operator ordered the woman to pull over and wait for an ambulance to assist. She did so, coming to a stop on Broad Street.

Selma Police Officer Kenneth Keith was the first to arrive and found the child unresponsive and not breathing, Riley said.

“Officer Keith began CPR on the infant until the ambulance arrived,” Riley said in a Thursday evening interview. “He continued CPR on the infant until it was transported to a local hospital.”