Blaze destroys Selma home

Published 8:01 pm Monday, June 6, 2011

Firefighters with the Selma Fire Department do their best to control the fire at an Alabama Avenue home Sunday. -- Donnie Coffee

A Sunday night fire left an Alabama Avenue home a total loss.

According to a report from the Selma Fire Department, a call came through at 7:10 p.m. for 522 Alabama Ave., and the department arrived on the scene at 7:14 p.m.

Despite the efforts of 16 firefighters on the scene, the flames had spread too far inside the house to salvage the structure.

Email newsletter signup

According to the report, Fire Chief Mike Stokes, the battalion chief, fire engines No. 2, 3, 4, 5 and ladder No. 3 all reported to the scene.

The department cleared the scene at 9:40 p.m. Sunday.

Officials at the department said they feel an electrical short in an air conditioning unit might have started the fire.

As temperatures remain close to the 100 degree mark, wall air conditioning units are being pushed to their limits.

Stokes said those who use these units should be aware of the risks they face and practice preventative measures.

“If the unit has a setting where it will cycle on and off for a specific temperature, they need to use that setting,” he said. “And if you are not going to be home, don’t leave them running.”

Stokes said wall unit owners should also be aware of the outlets they use. Many times, he said people might not pay attention to the number of appliances used by an outlet.

“They might have the air conditioner plugged in and there could be a refrigerator plugged in as well,” he said. “That can overload the outlet and cause a fire in a hurry.”