Pontoon boat burns at marina
Published 2:22 pm Wednesday, June 3, 2009
A suspected electrical fire destroyed a pontoon boat about 2 p.m. Wednesday as it was docked at the Selma City Marina.
Selma firefighters responded to the fire and extinguished the blaze in the boat, which belonged to marina owner Joe Sanders. Sanders said the boat was insured.
“I had run the motor a little bit to charge the batteries,” Sanders said. “It must have been an electrical fire. The motor is still in good shape.”
Email newsletter signup
Sanders said he tried to put out the fire.
“I grabbed two fire extinguishers,” he said. “If it had been a Saturday, I would have been running around in it when it happened.”
A marina employee called for the firefighters.
“Joe and everybody was just standing inside when we heard a pop,” Michelle Small said. “Then somebody told me to call 911.”
Sanders said the boat would be replaced.
“It will probably be a day before the adjusters will be here,” he said. “It’s just a hassle having to deal with it. Thank goodness, no one was hurt.”