Weather forces area schools to cancel games

Published 11:42 pm Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The threat of inclement weather cancelled classes and basketball games at several area schools on Tuesday.

Keith hoped to bounce back from a Friday loss to Southside against St. Jude, but had to postpone the contest until Wednesday.

“I prefer to be at the house, but I wanted to play tonight,” said Keith coach Tommy Tisdale. “It came from the central office. I think on their end, they were still planning to come. It’s probably even safer for St. Jude not be traveling.”

Email newsletter signup

Meadowview coach Robbie Redd sees the cancellation of the Trojans’ contest with Lowndes as a plus.

Meadowview players are still feeling the effects of a close loss to No. 1 Warrior at last weekend’s Tuscaloosa Academy Tournament.

“I think it’ll turn out to be a good thing because my guys were really tired,” said Redd. “The tournament really took a lot out of them, and I was actually somewhat glad we didn’t play tonight.”

The girls team also gets more time to prepare for the defending Class AA champion.

“They probably are a little disappointed, but I can convince them it’s going to be in our favor,” said coach Ceil Anne Cooper.

Both contests have been rescheduled for Jan. 17.

After an 18-day layoff, Central Christian was anxious to return to action against Sparta. Now the Warriors have to wait until Thursday when they visit Warrior.

“It was the right call. It’s better to be safe than sorry,” said Central Christian girls coach Darrell Walker. “Our girls were looking forward to playing (Sparta) because they beat us last time, and we were looking for revenge this time.”

Central Christian will play host to Sparta on Jan. 22.

Morgan was anxious to get back on the hardwood against Clarke Prep.

Morgan boys coach Lee Tate understood the decision to cancel the Senators’ game.

“We’ll get an inch of rain probably, but if they don’t cancel it, we’ll get three tornadoes inside,” Tate said with a laugh. “I hate that we’re missing it. I’m hopeful we’ll reschedule the game for Thursday.”