Burress returns to Giants Stadium

Published 10:28 am Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Plaxico Burress arrived at Giants Stadium on Tuesday, one day after the star receiver was charged with illegal gun possession.

He was told by the team to be there because he is on the active roster and injured.

Burress accidentally shot himself in the right thigh at a Manhattan nightclub over the weekend. The case has jeopardized his career with the NFL champions, angered the mayor of New York and raised the strong possibility the wide receiver might land in jail.

Email newsletter signup

Police were searching for more answers from teammate Antonio Pierce and the hospital that treated Burress. Pierce was with Burress at the nightclub, and police want to know what the linebacker did moments after the shooting and whether he helped cover up what happened.

Police expressed frustration with the NFL and Giants officials, saying they were promised that Pierce would appear Monday at a police precinct where Burress appeared before heading to court. But he didn’t show.

“It was a universe of silence after this shooting,” New York Police Department spokesman Paul Browne said.

The hospital that treated Burress has come under scrutiny. New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center said officials “take this very seriously, and are conducting a thorough investigation into why this gunshot wound was not reported to the police department in a timely fashion.”

Myrna A. Manners, the hospital’s vice president for public affairs, told The New York Times that a person responsible for not reporting the gunshot wound had been suspended.

The developments came just 10 months after Burress made the winning catch in the Super Bowl. But on Monday, Burress was hauled out of a police precinct in handcuffs facing two weapons charges.

Burress posted $100,000 bail and was told by the judge that his next appearance won’t be until March 31. In the meantime, the Giants and the NFL will have to make a decision about what to do with the troublesome wide receiver.

Burress did not say anything in court Monday and did not make a statement to police when booked at a midtown precinct. His lawyer stressed that Burress is innocent until proven guilty and denied Burress took part in any cover-up.

“He is standing tall. He is a mature adult,” said Benjamin Brafman, his defense lawyer. “I think any professional athlete in this situation would be concerned.”