Runoff election in two spots set for July

Published 12:00 am Thursday, June 19, 2008

The Selma Times-Journal

Probate Judge Kim Ballard’s office has announced that runoff elections will be held in Dallas County for two seats on the June 3 primary ballot.

Runoffs in the Republican seats for the Public Service Commission president and the Criminal Court of Appeals Place 1 are scheduled for July 15.

Email newsletter signup

“There are (at least) three people that ran for these places,” said Suzanne Ingram, chief clerk for the probate office. “You have to get 50 percent of the overall votes cast, and no single candidate did.”

Statewide for Public Service Commission President, Twinkle Andress Cavanaugh got 87,128 votes

(47 percent); Matt Chancey got 52,891 (29 percent); and Jack Hornady got 42,265 (24 percent).

Cavanaugh pulled in 61 votes in Dallas County, Hornady 33 and Chancey 31.

Overall for the Court of Appeals: Beth Kellum got 58,462 votes (34 percent); Lucie McLemore had 40,770 (24 percent); Peggy Givhan had 37,093 (22 percent); and Teresa B.

Petelos had 36,109 (21 percent).

Givhan carried Dallas County with 59 votes, McLemore had 30, Kellum had 19 and Petelos had 10.

Polls in Dallas County will open at 7 a.m. and close at 7 p.m. in the same precincts as the primary election.

Applications for absentee ballots must be filed in the office of the absentee election manager/circuit clerk not less than five days prior to the election. The deadline to apply is July 10 by 4:30 pm. The deadline to apply for medical and business emergencies is no later than the close of business on Monday, July 14.

Any person desiring to vote absentee may come by the circuit clerk’s office of the Dallas County courthouse, 105 Lauderdale Street, Room 204. The mailing address is Dallas County Absentee Election Manager, P.O. Box 327, Selma, AL, 36702. Office hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday.

Ingram said the county will follow the same procedures as the primary election, but nowhere near as many voters are expected.

“We expect a very, very low turnout,” she said.