War veterans may get high school diplomas

Published 12:00 am Friday, April 4, 2008

The issue: Veterans of World War II and Korea may get their high school diplomas from the state superintendent of education.

Our position: Veterans should know about this and make use of it.

Qualifying World War II and Korean War veterans may get their high school diplomas under Alabama law.

Email newsletter signup

The law says the state superintendent of education may award a standard high school diploma to any honorably discharged veteran, who began high school between 1937 and 1946, was scheduled to graduate between 1941 and 1950 and was drafted into the U.s. armed forces between Sept. 16, 1940 and Jan. 31, 2946, before completing requirements for graduation.

The law also includes those who served in the armed forces between June 27, 1950, and Jan. 31, 1955, was a resident of Alabama prior to entry into the service and whose service disrupted high school attendance and prevented graduation.

The state recognizes these men and women risked their lives to serve in the struggle for freedom. They asked no questions. They did not complain. They did as their country required them to do.

The veterans who survived battle, who were taken from their classrooms as mere teenagers, deserve this recognition of going above and beyond.

Veterans or their families may make requests. Here, according to Willis Chappell of the Alabama Antlered Guard Brigade, are guidelines for those veterans to follow:

This diploma may be presented at a scheduled graduation ceremony, a private ceremony or mailed to the recipient or his or her family.

It’s worth it.

Our veterans shouldn’t be forgotten.