State under red flag warning
Published 12:00 am Wednesday, December 19, 2007
THE SELMA TIMES-JOURNAL
Take care if you burn leaves or other trash. Stay with them.
The National Weather Service has issued a red flag warning for most of the southern portion of Alabama because of a fire risk.
Email newsletter signup
The state hasn&8217;t had an adequate amount of rainfall for months. Low humidity associated with the latest weather system that rolled through the area have made conditions ripe for wildfires.
Dallas County and the surrounding area received very little rainfall from the front that pushed through Saturday evening, meaning the moisture on the ground gives only a day or two of protection, he said. Coupled with a frost that killed most of the green vegetation, wildfires are possible if a stray spark gets away from a burning trash pile, Kinman said.
However, conditions haven&8217;t warranted any restrictions or burn bans, the fire specialist added.
The National Weather Service doesn&8217;t have rain in the forecast until Wednesday evening when there is a 40 percent chance and 60 percent chance on Thursday for rain.