House fire claims man’s life

Published 12:00 am Sunday, November 25, 2007


An early Saturday morning fire claimed the life of a disabled Selma man and left his brother hospitalized.

Firefighters responded to find the 2512 Water Ave. house fully involved. Neighbors told firefighters the two adults were inside.

Email newsletter signup

Roy Parker, 48, a double amputee confined to a wheelchair, died.

Charles Parker made it to the rear door of the home, where firefighters pulled him out after forcing the door open, witnesses said.

Parker, 43, was transported to Baptist Hospital in Montgomery where he was admitted for treatment for smoke inhalation. He was listed in stable condition.

Tamar Dennis, who lives across Ackers Alley at 2518 Water Ave., said she was awakened about 4:30 a.m. by unfamiliar sounds.

Dennis called for help, then went outside to try and wake up her neighbors.

Heat from the blaze melted the siding on the Dennis home, and burst out the windows in the front of their house.

The Parker home, where the elderly brothers lived, suffered major damage.

Authorities said the fire apparently began in the front of the house.

The Dennis home received major damage to the exterior, several windows out, and water and smoke damage inside.