Saints slip by Lee in OT

Published 12:00 am Sunday, October 21, 2007

The Selma Times-Journal

Overtime, a goal-line stand and a phantom time out &045; everything was far from normal when Selma took on Lee Friday night.

Although the Saints (4-4, 2-4 6A Region 4) lost a chance to win their homecoming game in regulation, their defense held and T-Ray Mitchell ran in a 5-yard touchdown to put away a 12-6 victory.

Email newsletter signup

Mitchell bruised his way to 33 total rushing yards, but he made his last two carries count the most.

The Generals (0-8) took the ball on Selma’s 10 in overtime, but Selma’s defensive line had a big part in busting up three passing plays.

Terrell Roper and Maurice Black finally brought down quarterback Jravious Jackson on third down. Then Tyler McCarthy kicked a low, knuckling field goal attempt that fell five yards short of the uprights.

Two plays later, the Saints flooded their field in celebration.

Near the end of regulation, controversy over a Selma time out caused a 10-minute delay in the game.

Taking the ball with less than two minutes left, Selma drove as far as the Lee 6. After a Mitchell run of no gain, coach Brian Montgomery called a time out with one second left and the Saints set up to kick.

Lee coach Gene Allen argued the Saints had no time outs left, and after a lengthy conference, officials ruled the game would go into overtime.

For the Generals, even the benefit of the doubt didn’t do them much good.

Their sputtering four-play possession in overtime was the culmination of a game-long offensive struggle. Lee punted six times, lost two fumbles and turned the ball over once more on a fake punt attempt.

Selma didn’t fare much better &045; punting four times, turning the ball over once and giving it back on downs three times.

The Generals scored first when Jackson hit a diving Malcom Jones for a 16-yard touchdown with 7:31 left in the second quarter.

On the very next play from scrimmage, Johnathan Harris hit Patrick Bonner in stride for an 81-yard touchdown to tie the game at 6.

Harris was one of five different players &045; and the second of three quarterbacks &045; to attempt a pass for the Saints during the game.

The stop in overtime wasn’t the first time Selma’s defense stepped up. The Saints stuffed running back Justin Crayton on the 1 as time expired in the first half.