Speaking out

Published 12:00 am Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Alleged beating victim talks about his ordeal

By Victor Inge

The Selma Times-Journal

Email newsletter signup

A young man alleging to have been beaten by five police officers broke his silence Tuesday, speaking to the media for the first time since his March 2007 arrest.

Mayor James Perkins Jr. had asked Police Chief Jimmy Martin to contact the Alabama Bureau of Investigations to look into the incident. The ABI completed the investigation and turned the findings over to the District Attorney’s Office.

District Attorney Michael Jackson has forwarded the findings to the Alabama Attorney General Troy King’s office. The attorney general’s office does not comment on ongoing investigations.

Jackson declined to comment on the details of the report.

Kourtney Gordon, who has been absent from news conferences and several appearances family members made before the Selma City Council, told The Selma Times-Journal he was glad to hear something was being done.

Gordon, 20, said Selma police officers had harassed him prior to that night, stopping him several times in his Lincoln LS his father bought for him, asking if he was on cocaine or sold cocaine.

According to police reports, Gordon and his 64-year-old grandfather Walter Hollman Jr., were both arrested outside Hollman’s 2307 West Dr. home just after 11 p.m. that Friday.

Gordon and Hollman were charged with assault third degree on a police officer, and resisting arrest. They were booked and released on $1,000 bond each, according to police reports. Their cases have not been scheduled for Municipal Court.

Police reportedly attempted to stop Gordon for a traffic violation while driving a family member’s Chevrolet Cobalt, but he continued to his grandparents’ residence.

Gordon, a former math major at Alabama State University, was charged with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest. Family members said they are considering legal action against the officers and the city, and wanted the officers involved &8220;off the streets&8221; until the investigation was complete. There have been no officers reassigned due to the investigation.

In a letter to the family Perkins stated the ABI findings had been sent to the attorney general’s office, and should wrongdoing be found, appropriate disciplinary action would be taken.