Fire at CHAT Academy: Summer classes moved to SHS

Published 12:00 am Thursday, June 28, 2007

Staff Report

No injuries were reported in a fire early Wednesday morning at Selma Middle CHAT Academy that caused significant damage to a storage room inside the gymnasium.

Chief Mark Walker of the Selma Fire Department said an emergency call came in at 12:55 a.m. Wednesday.

Email newsletter signup

The fire was contained to the annex of the gymnasium, but caused smoke and water damage in nearby classrooms.

Lynn Henderson, public relations supervisor for Selma City Schools, said the fire was the result of an electrical malfunction.

CHAT summer school classes have been moved to Selma High School so that CHAT can be repaired and undergo further inspection.

“CHAT summer school students should report to Selma High School until further notice,” Henderson said.

Interim Superintendent Dr. Verdell Dawson said extra security measures are in place to prevent an electrical fire from occurring again at CHAT and ensured safety at all city schools.

“All of the electrical systems will be checked at all of the schools so this won’t happen again,” Dawson said. “Inspections are prescribed by law, but we will make an extra step and expand the survey as a precaution.”