DART/Fireworks season brings reminder of safety

Published 12:00 am Monday, June 18, 2007

The Selma Times-Journal

It’s just a little over two weeks until Independence Day, and that means folks will be shooting fireworks.

Mike Luster of Crazy Bill’s Fireworks knows a little about sparklers, artillery shells, firecrackers and Roman candles.

Email newsletter signup

“This is my 27th year,” he said of managing fireworks stands.

Crazy Bill’s, located on Highway 80, just east of Craig Field, has been here for “16 or 17 years,” he said.

“We’re open three weeks during the Fourth, and two weeks at Christmas,” he said.

Hours are 10 a.m. to 10 p.m., seven days a week. On July 3 and July 4, the stand will be open from 7 a.m. until.

Big sellers are the assortment packages, like Party Time, he said. Night displays and artillery shells are also popular, as are old standards like firecrackers and sparklers.

Then there’s the big bang, 500 gram items. “It’s the biggest boom that they make,” Luster said.

In case you’re concerned about safety, Luster said the fire marshall inspects the items to make sure they’re legal, and there are other laws that apply to the sell of fireworks.

“We strictly will not sell to anyone under the age of 16. If they look like they are under 16, they’ll have to show an ID,” he said.

There are also safety rules posted at the check out counter.

Topping the list is to make sure fireworks are legal in the city or county you live in. It is not legal to use fireworks in the city limits of Selma.

Other safety guidelines include:

Follow the instructions on the label.

Use common sense.

Never point fireworks at another person.

Use fireworks and sparklers only outdoors.

If drought conditions mean a ban on fireworks, follow the law.

Only use fireworks as intended. Don’t try to alter them or combine them.

Fireworks and alcohol do not mix. Have a designated “shooter.”

The Council on Fireworks Safety reminds consumers that fireworks must be used with caution.

For more information on Crazy Bill’s, call 872-6299.