Bond hearing today for suspect gunmen

Published 12:00 am Monday, January 29, 2007


The five Selma men charged in connection with a Thursday shooting at Lapsley Street and Philpot Avenue, are scheduled to be in Dallas County District Court today for a bond hearing.

A hail of gunfire, which police said left more than 30 shell casings on the ground one block from Selma Middle School CHAT Academy, resulted in two men being hospitalized and five men held without bond.

Email newsletter signup

Dallas County District Attorney Michael Jackson said assistant DA John Oxford would be handling the bond hearing, and will be asking Judge Bob Armstrong to help keep the men behind bars.

Michael Moore, 18, and Kenyatta Pollard, 28, were admitted to Vaughan Regional Medical Center on Thursday following the incident, where they had been listed in stable condition, according to a hospital spokesperson. Sherie Sibley, a VRMC spokesperson, reported Sunday that both men had been discharged.

Investigators worked late Thursday night sorting out the details and informing family members who filled the hallway outside the booking area of the Selma Police Department. Police said the incident stemmed from a previous altercation over a vehicle that was broken into.

Arrested were Oscar Bernard Murray, 25; Andrew Shelton, 20; James Jones, Jr., 19; Jimmy Tyus, 20, and Kelsey King, 26.

Police said five men &045; Moore, Shelton, Jones, Tyus and King &045; were apparently working on a car outside an apartment complex on Philpot Avenue when Murray walked by. Murray reportedly came back and opened fire, striking Moore in his right side.

The four suspects then jumped into a Chevrolet Caprice and fled. Police caught up with the vehicle at the intersection of L.L. Anderson Avenue and Franklin Street. A search turned up four weapons, including an assault rifle, which police said had been reported stolen.

Det. Frederick Walker said Shelton, Jones, Tyus and King were all charged with assault first degree. Tyus and King were also charged with carrying a concealed weapon. All of the men are held without bond. Walker said neither man admitted to firing the assault rifle, which was found inside the vehicle driven by King.

Murray was charged with assault first degree and has been held without bond. Family members waiting on details of the shooting recalled an earlier incident, and said the incident had been &8220;brewing for a while.&8221;

Walker said police recovered an assault rifle, two .380 caliber pistols and a .40 caliber. Additional charges of receiving stolen property and could be added, police said.