Panthers fall hard to Thomasvillle

Published 12:00 am Saturday, October 21, 2006

The Selma Times-Journal

The roar you heard from Panther Stadium Friday night was the No. 4 team in 4A making another statement.

The Thomasville Tigers beat Southside 41-16.

Email newsletter signup

“(We had) too many penalties, (we’re) not completing our assignments and (we’re) not focusing,” Southside coach Christopher Raymond said. “We’re young, but we’re growing. We play with a lot of heart, and that brings experience.”

The Panthers (2-6, 1-6 4A Region 1) started the game with three penalties and were backed up inside their own 10-yard line.

Thomasville (7-1, 6-1) took over at the Southside 40. Quarterback Jake Overstreet passed for two first downs then found Tyshawn Thomas for an 8-yard touchdown, and the Tigers led 7-0 with 6:31 left in the first quarter.

Southside’s Xavier Mack threw a strike to Kevin Rowe, and he broke loose for a 12-yard gain to get a drive going. Willie Cooper lost a fumble on the Thomasville 20, and the Tigers took over there.

The Panthers’ defense forced a touchback, and Southside was on the board, trailing 7-2.

On the first play of the Tigers’ next possession, Overstreet scrambled for a 25-yard gain and a first down. On the next play, Roya Campbell broke loose for 18 yards, giving Thomasville first-and-goal from the 10.

Overstreet bounced outside and scored to put the Tigers ahead 14-2.

With 6:14 left in the first half, Southside took its fourth penalty of the game, getting penalized 15 yards for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Again, Overstreet scrambled to the 30-yard line. On the next play, he found Tyshawn Thomas on a hitch-and-go for a touchdown and a 20-2 lead.

Southside took over on its 20 and went to the air.

Cooper hauled in a 50-yard bomb, getting to the Tigers’ 16. Rowe carried the ball in for the score, and Southside was back in the game, trailing 20-8.

But Thomasville pulled away behind the strength of its offensive line. Campbell scored his second touchdown of the night, and the Tigers led 27-8 at the half.