Suspects waive hearings
Published 12:00 am Sunday, June 4, 2006
Cemetery robbery case going to grand jury
By Cassandra Mickens
The Selma Times-Journal
Email newsletter signup
Burglary and robbery suspects Christopher Ward and Pollard Williams have waived their preliminary hearings, thus expediting their cases to the grand jury, said Assistant District Attorney John Oxford.
Ward and Williams are suspected of robbing a female victim in Old Live Oak Cemetery on March 19. A firearm was used in the incident.
Ward was arrested and charged with one count of first-degree robbery and one count of third-degree robbery. Ward’s third-degree robbery charge stems from a March 10 incident across the street from Old Live Oak Cemetery involving a female victim. Ward’s bond is set at $200,000.
Williams was arrested and charged with two counts of first-degree robbery, two counts of third-degree burglary and one count each of third-degree burglary and robbery. Williams is also suspected to have burglarized several homes in the area. Both suspects are in their 20s.
Instead of a preliminary hearing, Williams opted to have the District Judge Bob Armstrong reconsider his bond, which is set at $400,000.
“Several members of the community that had been affected by Pollard Williams’ criminal activity appeared in front of the judge and were able to address the judge on whether or not (Williams) was a threat to the community,” Oxford said.
After victims spoke their minds, it was concluded Williams was indeed a threat. His request was denied.