Selma man faces

Published 12:00 am Tuesday, October 25, 2005

murder charge


The Selma Times-Journal

Email newsletter signup

Antonio &8220;Meechie&8221; Hardy, dressed in all black,and stared impassively into the distance, while prosecutors questioned witnesses who say he shot and killed Quincey Dudley in April 2004.

Hardy, of Ickerman Alley, was arrested on Friday, April 23 for the murder of Dudley &045; also known as &8220;Q&8221; &045; after he and Dudley allegedly fought over Hardy’s girlfriend, Angie &8220;Angie B&8221; McDaniel, according to police reports.

Dudley was found dead between two houses at 310 and 314 Alabama Ave., between Laspley and Pelham Street.

He was shot once. According to autopsy reports, he was shot with a 9 mm in the left side. The bullet went through his chest, exited out the right side and penetrated his right arm.

Dudley, a known drug dealer, was lured to the home of Hardy’s father &045; Johnny Mac Hardy &045; on 304 Alabama

with the promise of a sale, according to the prosecutor.

Hardy argued with his girlfriend earlier that night, Roberts said.

When Dudley arrived, a witness said Hardy slapped him and then shot him as Dudley ran for cover.

At yesterday’s trial, the state presented witnesses they say proves Hardy’s guilt.

The defense disagreed.

P. Vaughan Russell Sr., representing Hardy, said the prosecution didn’t have sufficient physical evidence to justify the charges.

Russell said the state couldn’t produce a weapon in the case and that the witnesses were unreliable at best.

Russell said the witnesses in the case were coerced by the police, investigators and prosecutors.

The prosecution opened the case with testimony from Dudley’s girlfriend, Mary Lynn Johnson, who was living with him on Washtington Street at the time of the murder.

She testified that Dudley left their home in her 1995 white Nissan Maxima at around 10 p.m. the night of the murder.

Later, Johnson received a call from the Selma Police Department reporting that her car had been found abandoned.

After a brief cross, Roberts called Officer Carlos Jones to the stand.

Carlos discovered Dudley’s body at about 6 p.m. the day after the shooting.

Showing grisly crime scene photos, Jones explained in detail how the body was found and why police couldn’t find it quicker.

Roberts asked Jones if he knew who the body was.

As Jones described the scene depicted in the photos, Dudley’s mother burst into tears and fled the room.

Russell asked Jones about Johnny Mac’s home.

Russell alleged that the home was a &8220;shot house,&8221;

a home where alcohol was illegally sold and served.

Jones also said the body was found with $704 in cash and a bag of cocaine and a bag of marijuana, after questioning from Russell.

Brian Johnson took the stand for the prosecution next.

Johnson, who wore a Bama Budwieser uniform to court, testified that he was inside Johnny Mac’s when the shooting occurred.

Johnson told the court that Hardy was arguing with a woman when he arrived.

Later, Johnson said, a man he didn’t know arrived in a white Nissan.

Hardy went outside with two others.

Johnson said Hardy told the group when he came outside that he’d slapped and believed he’d shot &8220;Q.&8221;

Johnson testified that he turned off the radio in the Nissan, per Johnny Mac Hardy’s instructions.

Antonio Hardy told him to get in the car and move it, Johnson said.

Johnson then drove the car to Ickerman Alley.

Hardy again told him to move the vehicle.

Johnson testified that the left with a friend after that.

Russell cross-examined Johnson.

Russell alleged that Johnson only testified after police and investigators coerced him. He said Johnson had changed his statement at least twice.

Next, Roberts called Jowana Chaney to the stand.

Chaney said she saw a white Nissan pass by her home followed by Hardy in his car.

She said she recognized Hardy’s car because of the cracked windshield.

She also told the court that two streetlights in front of her home allowed her to see Hardy driving.

Russell said her statement also changed.

He said she told police the other side of the windshield was cracked.

Russell entered into evidence an invoice or work order. He indicated it showed the windshield was fixed on March 30, 2004, about three weeks before the crime was committed.

He asked Chaney to tell the juror about the document, but an objection raised by Roberts was sustained.

Jones said Chaney couldn’t speak to exactly what the document signified.

Roberts then called Shawn Leashore, 31, of Selma to the stand.

Leashore testified that he was at Johnny Mac’s for much of the night and witnessed the crime.

He said he arrived at the home at about 9:45 p.m. He said that Hardy and McDaniel were arguing.

After Angie left, he testified that he knew Hardy called Dudley. Hardy told people there when Dudley arrived they would fight, Leashore said.

He said about 15 minutes later Dudley arrived.

Dudley said Hardy wasted no time.

Later, Leashore testified that Hardy sent him between the two houses where Dudley ran.

Leashore told Hardy he didn’t see Dudley.

Hardy went looking for himself, Leashore said.

Robert asked where it came from.

Roberts said that Leashore’s statement changed during the investigation.

He asked Leashore what he told police first.

Russell questioned Leashore’s credibility.

He again asked about the purpose of Johnny Mac’s home.

He also asked Leashore why he didn’t call authorities.

Russell also questioned Leashore’s ability to see and hear everything that occurred.

Russell also questioned his sobriety that night.

Then Russell asked Leashore about his statements and why they changed.

He was the last witness called in the trial.

Shortly after Leashore left the stand, Jones called for an overnight recess.

Russell said he was pleased with the progression of the trial so far.

Neither Roberts nor district attorney Michael Jackson wanted to comment on the case. The trial will resume today at 9 a.m.