Parrish High class of 1950 reunites

Published 12:00 am Wednesday, May 4, 2005

On the weekend of Selma’s Historic Pilgrimage 2005 the Albert G. Parrish Class of 1950 celebrated their 55th reunion. Reunion Chairs Billy Jones and Aurelia Ellison planned the reunion to coincide with the Pilgrimage weekend, “in order for the out-of-towners to take advantage of all the beautiful attractions as well as have plenty to do,” they explained.

Present for the festive weekend were 37 members of the Class of ’50 and 20 spouses. The fun began with a dinner at the Tally-Ho restaurant, hosted by classmate Karl Sadler, now of Lewisburg, Tennessee. The evening was filled with greetings, laughter and lots of “catching up” by the classmates.

The historic White-Force Cottage was the setting for the Saturday brunch, where two former teachers, Mrs. Stocks and Mrs. Richardson, were present and honored by the class, which also marveled at the beauty of adjacent Sturdivant Hall in this, the heart of the Old Town Historic District.

A highlight of the weekend was a tour of the Harmony Club, where restoration is in progress. Although the building was one of the Pilgrimage attractions, the Class of 1950 received a full tour, directed by Bill Tomey and David Hurlburt. The former ballroom of the handsome old building was the center of interest to class members, who recalled the dances and parties attended there.

Saturday evening the festivities continued at the Selma Country Club to enjoy a banquet and more reminiscing. In fact, say Ellison and Jones, everyone had so much fun there is already talk of another reunion.

Classmate Karl Sadler took a number of photographs during the fun weekend. Pictured in the group picture