Trio survives trailer wreck

Published 12:00 am Tuesday, July 20, 2004

After spending two hours trapped in the wreck of a 1997 Volvo semi, Chad Ford was freed and transported to the Montgomery Baptist South Hospital by helicopter.

Ford was riding with James Edwards, hauling red clay to Henry Brick on River Road when the truck was hit by a 1993 Mack semi-truck hauling hardwood logs yesterday.

According to state troopers, the Mack truck, driven by Lewis Brown of Pinehill, turned onto River Road from the Cecil Jackson Bypass. The trucks load shifted, causing the Mac to overturn and collide with the Volvo. The Volvo was forced down a bank, trapping Ford.

Email newsletter signup

Brown was injured in the accident as well and transported to Vaughan Regional Medical Center. Edwards wasn’t injured, but was transported to Vaughan as a precautionary measure on the advice of paramedics on the scene. Brown seemed to be doing well, according to State Trooper Jeffrey Walker.

“He was conscious and talking,” Walker said.

According to reports from the state troopers office in Selma, the accident occurred at 11:50 a.m.

Paramedics responded to the scene shortly after, followed by firefighters.

A-1 Towing also aided in the rescue efforts.

Rescue workers immediately began extrication procedures when they discovered Ford trapped.

According to paramedics, Ford’s upper thighs and legs were pinned in the cab. They immediately put Ford on an IV.

A stabilizing cable was attached to one side of the wreck, which was laying on the passenger side of the cab.

Other cables were attached to a nearby telephone pole to pull the metal away from Ford. The pole was shifted several inches by the attempt. Another A-1 tow truck arrived on the scene and was chained to the wreck to pry the metal away.

Several cutting tools, powered by gas generators were also used.

Ford was freed at approximately 2 p.m. Paramedics and firefighters placed Ford on a backboard, put braces on both legs and stabilized his head and neck. The Lifeline helicopter arrived minutes later and transported Ford to Baptist South in Montgomery.

Paramedics on the scene described Ford as in relatively good condition and said he was conscious and talking the entire time.

Ford was discharged from the Baptist South Emergency Room soon after arrival. Information about Brown was unavailable at presstime, but he wasn’t admitted to Vaughan Regional Medical.