Marion shooting injures one

Published 12:00 am Tuesday, June 22, 2004

A car chase through Perry County streets resulted in a Marion man being shot in the back early Monday morning, according to Marion Police Chief Jerry Bufford.

In less than three hours, Albert Shelton III and Angelic Jackson, both of Patton Street, were arrested for the shooting.

Kerry Evins and the couple had argued Sunday, and allegedly shots were fired then, according to Bufford. No warrant was filed on the incident.

Email newsletter signup

Evins, of Reed Street, was waiting at Mr. Roy’s, a gas station at the intersection of Highway 14 and Highway 5, for a ride to work. Evins carpools to work everyday with friends, Bufford said.

When Evins saw the couple, he started to drive away.

“He started pulling off, and he heard a shot,” Bufford said. “When he entered the highway, his…back glass fell out. He said he began to take off. He thinks two more shots were fired.”

Evins, according to police, fled to a home about a quarter of a mile down the road. He pulled into the driveway of a house on Highway 14, jumped out of the car and used some nearby bushes for cover.

“It was then he realized he’d been shot,” Bufford said.

The bullet hit Evins’ back, entering near his left shoulder.

“The projectile ejected itself from (his) body,” Bufford said. “It couldn’t have been a large caliber.”

No weapon has been recovered in the case.

After Evins was shot, the owner of the home called paramedics and the police. Bufford was transported to the local clinic run by Vaughan Regional Medical Center.

Doctors treated his wounds and released him shortly thereafter.

Bufford said that Jackson and Shelton were both being charged with discharging a firearm into an occupied vehicle. Shelton also faces first-degree assault charges.

“We have statements from eyewitnesses,” Bufford said.

According to those statements, Shelton was firing the weapon from the passenger side of the car.

Bufford said Evins and Shelton feuded Sunday.

“Albert and Kerry had some words prior to this taking place,” Bufford said. “Allegedly they were shooting the day before. When officers arrived yesterday (Sunday) nobody knew anything. The lady who (filed) the report said she was going to do a warrant for Kerry’s arrest but she never showed up.”

Evins couldn’t be contacted as of presstime.