Shooting suspect may have charges dropped

Published 12:00 am Wednesday, January 29, 2003

A man may walk free today after spending eight months in the Dallas County Jail.

Both Jarron Stallworth and Ronald Terell Fitts of Selma are charged with two counts of discharging a gun into an occupied building or vehicle. According to the district attorney’s office, attorneys on both sides along with Stallworth and Fitts will meet with Judge Marvin Wiggins today to discuss the status of the case.

The district attorney’s office said that it would ask the court to dismiss the charges against Fitts.

Email newsletter signup

The charges against Stallworth, though, will stand.

The district attorney’s office said that it would ask the charges against Fitts be dropped because no gun was found on him at the time of his arrest. Also, Fitts didn’t have time to dispose of a weapon prior to his arrest, the district attorney’s office added.

Both Fitts and Stallworth were arrested June 19, 2002, in the area of First Avenue.

According to a local Selma man, around 10:30 p.m. on June 18, 2002, Fitts approached him in his car while he was leaving a friend’s house on Lawrence Street. As the man spoke with Fitts, Stallworth allegedly came upon the scene from George Washington Carver Homes and stood behind a mail truck.

At that point, according to the victim, Fitts pulled out a gun and started firing in Stallworth’s direction. Stallworth, holding a long gun, also allegedly began to fire.

The victim said that he backed his vehicle up and made his way from the scene to his sister’s house.

Two witnesses said that they saw both Stallworth and Fitts at the scene. One of the witnesses said that some bullets that were fired hit her residence.

According to a statement by a Selma Police Department officer, Fitts and Stallworth were seen together in a car shortly after the incident. A call had been made to the police at this point, the district attorney’s office said, and the officer said that when he saw the car he turned on his lights.

The officer said that the car stopped and Stallworth jumped out of the passenger side with an AK-47 rifle before pointing it at him. Stallworth, the officer said, then ran.

In his statement, the officer said he didn’t shoot because some onlookers were too close to the scene. Instead, Fitts was taken into custody.

Upon searching the area, the report stated, officers recovered the AK-47.

Less than 30 minutes after the incident involving Fitts and Stallworth, Fitts’ mother reported shots being fired into her home.

When police responded, four 9mm bullet fragments and 19 9mm spent rounds were found in the front yard.