Former Selma High OL named Top Sports story of 2020
Former Selma High offensive lineman Lachavious Simmons picked in seventh round of NFL Draft is The Selma Times-Journal top sports story of 2020.
The Orrville native was picked by the Chicago Bears and started a game as a rookie.
Here are the other top sports stories:
2. Morgan Academy reaches AISA state semifinals in football, finished ranked in Top 10 poll. Running back Holt Utsey is named Selma Times-Journal football player of the year.
3. Morgan Academy golfer Jones Free signs golf scholarship with University of Alabama.
4. Former Selma High standout Jeremiah Wright moved from offensive line to defensive line at Auburn, received playing time as true freshman
5. Selma High football team finishes second in Region 3, Class 5A, host Class 5A playoff game.
6. Josh Thacker resigns as Morgan Academy football coach/Athletic Director, succeeded by Danny Raines, who becomes Selma Times-Journal football coach of the year.
7. Morgan Academy pitcher Jeremy Lee tosses a no-hitter. Lee becomes first athlete to land Selma Times-Journal football and baseball players of the year in a career.
8. Selma High girls basketball team reaches 6A Southwest Regional Finals. Guard Rodericka Parker earns Selma Times-Journal girls basketball player of the year for a second time. Wil Morgan named Selma Times-Journal Girls coach of the year.
9. Morgan Academy wins AISA state cheerleading championship.
10. Meadowview Christian School volleyball team reaches AISA Final Four. Reagan Burton named Selma Times-Journal volleyball player of the year, Bob Taylor named Selma Times-Journal volleyball coach of the year.
Running back Holt Utsey was the driving force behind Morgan Academy’s run to the AISA State semifinals. Utsey is The... read more