Moore makes first appearance in court

Published 9:19 pm Tuesday, September 5, 2017

A 47-year-old Selma woman charged with attempted murder in a Sunday night stabbing appeared in court for the first time Tuesday.

Minnie Moore was arrested Sunday night for attempted murder and booked into the Dallas County Jail without bond after she allegedly stabbed a 50-year-old man described as her acquaintance in the neck.

Dallas County District Attorney Michael Jackson said Monday the victim was lucky to be alive.

“She stabbed him and almost hit one of his main arteries,” Jackson said. “He’s going to survive. He was very fortunate.”

The stabbing happened on the 2200 block of U.S. Highway 80 East at the Economy Inn around 8 p.m. Sunday evening. According to a police report from the Selma Police Department, the responding officer found the victim lying in the floor with a puncture wound to the neck.

The victim told the officer he was stabbed by Moore, who was still on the scene. Moore was arrested, and the victim was transported to Vaughan Regional Medical Center.

The victim told officers he was talking to a family member on the phone when Moore started “cursing him.” He told officers he tried to calm her down, and then she suddenly stabbed him in the neck.

It is unclear what Moore allegedly stabbed the victim with.

The victim told officers the two had been drinking alcoholic beverages before the stabbing occurred.

Moore had an arraignment hearing Tuesday morning at 9 a.m. in District Judge Robert Armstrong’s courtroom. Court records show her bond was set at $15,000, and Alston Keith Jr. was appointed to represent her.

Court records show Moore has been arrested in the past for assault, resisting arrest and disorderly conduct.

A preliminary hearing has been scheduled for Oct. 3 at 1:30 p.m.

The police department is also investigating a Saturday night assault on the 2200 block of the Cecil Jackson Bypass.

Officers responded to a call of a female subject that had been cut. When an officer arrived on scene, he found a 54-year-old woman lying on the ground bleeding from her right arm.

According to a police report, the woman was cut with a knife by her co-worker after an argument.

It is unclear if an arrest has been made in the case yet.