• 61°

Hearing focuses on 12th Stone’s license

The investigation into a tragic shooting early Friday morning at a downtown Selma club that claimed the life of a 21-year-old Selma woman remains open. But a Selma City Council public hearing could change the status of the club where the shooting occurred to closed.

Council members are set to continue a public hearing Thursday on revoking the business license of 12th Stone, the club where the fatal shooting occurred and where Selma Police officials have said problems continually pop up.

The hearing, set for 5 p.m. Thursday in the council chambers, is a continuation of a public hearting that was held on Aug. 23 and was scheduled to continue on Sept. 13. But, that hearing was postponed as attorneys for the club tried to work a compromise with the city.

“Based on the aforementioned incidents, it is apparent that 12th Stone operations present a danger to the public, patrons, other businesses, law enforcement and the general welfare of the city of Selma,” Selma Chief of Police William T. Riley told members of the council during the August hearing after reading off a list of incidents that were reported at or near the club. “I request 12th Stone’s business license be revoked.”

After the initial hearing, the club’s attorney, Brandon Wooten, said he felt the list of complaints and incidents provided by the police did not warrant closing the club.

“I don’t think those things are instances that warrant a club being closed,” Wooten said, referring to a list of the 23 calls in the first months of 2011, some of which included “suspicious persons,” “intoxicated person,” “disorderly conduct in progress.” “I don’t see anything that has happened here outside the norm that doesn’t happen at every club all over America; specifically, I don’t see anything here that doesn’t happen at every other club in Selma.”

Following Friday morning’s shooting, the club remained closed over the weekend, as the department kept the site active as a working crime scene.

The alleged shooter, 19-year-old DeAndre Fuller, was taken into custody later Friday morning and charged with murder and four other counts of attempted murder. A second shooter, 29-year-old John C. Brown Jr., was taken into custoday Monday and also charged with one count of murder and four counts of attempted murder.

The woman killed in the shooting ended up being 21-year-old Levisha Fuller, DeAndre’s sister.

Among some of the main complaints for police was the level of security at the club, which Wooten told members of the council in August’s hearing were bonded and trained security guards.

According to details provided by the Selma Police Department, DeAndre was in an altercation inside the club and then left, went to his car, retrieved a handgun and then re-entered the club when he began shooting.

Police confirmed that security was on hand at the time of the shooting, but did not provide other security-related details.

Print Friendly and PDF