Grand jury indicts 3 Selma males for capital murder

Published 9:55 pm Saturday, July 25, 2009

More than three months have passed since a local teenager died in the parking lot of the fire station on Broad Street.

Kachavious Hurry, 18, a student at Southside High School, died from a fatal gunshot wound April 2. The shooting involved two cars, including the victim’s red Chevy Cobalt. Detectives examined a bullet hole in the left side of the Cobalt’s trunk at the scene.

Shortly after the incident officers arrested two people — Jeremy Johnson, 19, and a previously unidentified 17-year-old juvenile, later identified as Marcus Harris. Donte Harris, 30, turned himself into authorities April 6.

Email newsletter signup

On Friday, a Dallas County Grand Jury indicted Marcus Harris, Donte Harris and Johnson for capital murder.

“They will be in circuit court in the next few months for arraignment,” District Attorney Michael Jackson said. “They are being held in the Dallas County Jail with no bond.”

A witness who was riding with Hurry told officers what he saw that day.

“He stated he noticed a gold or brown SUV behind [Hurry and the witness] shooting toward the vehicle,” Detective Frederick Walker said in an affidavit. “He stated that Kachavious and Jeremy Johnson had been feuding. Officer [James] Bevel spotted Jeremy Johnson at Broad Street and Fourth Avenue. He was detained and brought in to the police department for questioning.”

Officers advised Johnson of his Miranda Rights and Waiver Rights. He then confessed to shooting Hurry while he was in a tan Chevrolet Trailblazer into Hurry’s vehicle.

Marcus Harris was the driver at the time and Johnson was behind the driver’s seat. Donte Harris was next to Johnson.

“Marcus Harris gave police a taped statement that they saw Kachavious Hurry at the mall,” Walker said. “They went to get Donte Harris. Donte provided a handgun to Jeremy Johnson. They went back up to the mall and saw Kachavious Hurry. Jeremy Johnson fired from the vehicle. They were striking Kachavious Hurry in the back.”

Several other people who were in the suspect’s vehicle at the time of the murder were also interviewed. They all stated they witnessed Marcus Harris chase down Hurry’s vehicle and Donte Harris give Johnson a firearm. They also stated they saw Johnson fire from the vehicle into Hurry’s vehicle.

After the murder of the Southside senior, the school held a memorial service.

“To just let it go and just move forward,” principal Luke Taylor said. “It was a very good service.”

Some students spoke fondly of Hurry during the memorial service. They described him as fun loving and dedicated to a future in the U.S. military. Taylor had a personal conversation with Hurry before the shooting, but after Hurry was arrested on warrants for assault second-degree, shooting into an occupied dwelling and shooting into an unoccupied vehicle.

“He said, ‘Mr. Taylor, I had nothing to do with that. I got my military stuff to look forward to,’” Taylor said. “He just promised me he was going to do his best to stay out of any altercations.”

Under the Code of Alabama, capital murder is punishable by death or life without parole.