• 73°

One dead in shooting on Griffin Avenue

A shooting shortly after 9 p.m. Monday night on Griffin Avenue has claimed the life of at least one and resulted in the wounding of two others.

Selma police investigators said they are still looking into the cause of the shooting. Lt. John Brock said officers were collecting information from the two wounded, who were transported by ambulance to the Vaughan Regional Medical Center during the late evening.

Brock could not release any details, including names of the victims because no family members were yet notified.

But a crowd of nearly 100 gathered on Griffin Avenue near St. Phillip Street in the minutes that followed the shooting and talked about the violence.

Authorities had blocked off the crime scene — most of the street — with yellow tape. Many of those standing outside police lines said they heard three or four shots.

“I was listening to the news about the other victim, that’s when I heard the sirens and I came out here,” said one observer, who declined to give her name.

The woman had referred to the shooting death late Friday evening of Rahemeen Garner, a 16-year-old.

Monday’s violent death marks the second in less than a week, and at least one woman wants a response from city officials.

“I haven’t seen (Mayor) George Evans at anything since he’s been in office,” said Chinae Robinson. “He hasn’t been at any crime scenes. No funerals.”

Evans couldn’t be reached for comment, but Selma City Councilman B.L. Tucker, who represents Ward 6, where the shooting occurred, said he’d notified the mayor and was waiting on a call back.

Tucker said he didn’t go to the scene, but had contacted authorities who could not tell him much about what happened.

Authorities and eyewitnesses agreed there were three victims of the shooting. The victims were riding down Griffin Avenue in a late model Oldsmobile Alero, bearing a custom plate on the front that said “CHUCK-6.” The back window of the automobile was shattered.

A relative of one of the victims said the car belongs to Ken Prevo. The relative did not know if Prevo was in the car at the time of the shooting.