Bond set in shooting

Published 12:00 am Friday, February 2, 2007

Two men released, three remain jailed



Email newsletter signup

Two of the five men charged with assault in connection with a recent shootout that left two injured have been released on bond. Three remained jailed Thursday, including a Selma man who is also charged with murder in a previous shooting incident.

Dallas County District Judge Bob Armstrong set the men’s bail amounts on Wednesday, including that of Oscar Bernard Murray. Murray, 25, remained in the Dallas County Jail Thursday night on $500,000 bond for the Jan. 25 assault, however, prosecutors are working to have his previous bond for a 2004 murder charged revoked.

Murray was arrested and charged after he allegedly walked up on five men installing a car stereo and opened fire, injuring one. The other four men reportedly returned fire, injuring a man who was half a block away police said was simply &8220;taking out his garbage.&8221;

Bonds were set for James Jones III, 18, and Jimmy Tyus, 20, at $100,000 each. Both Jones and Tyus have been released on bail. Andrew Shelton, 20, remained jailed Thursday on $75,000

bond. Kelsey King, 26, remained jailed on $250,000 bond.

Assistant District Attorney John Oxford had asked for bonds of $400,000 each, pointing to the fact &8220;an innocent bystander was injured&8221; as a result of their activities shortly after 1 p.m. on Jan. 25, near the intersection of Lapsley Street and Philpot Avenue. Oxford said he has filed a motion that would have Murray’s previous bond revoked, trying to prevent his release.

Armstrong has set a preliminary hearing for Feb. 12 in District Court.

Michael Moore, 18, was reportedly with Tyus, King, Shelton and Jones outside an apartment complex when they said Murray disguised himself &8220;as a cripple dude&8221; then opened fire with a pistol. Moore was shot in the side as the men sought cover. Police said the men returned fire with pistols and an assault rifle, and one of the stray bullets struck Kenyatta Pollard, 28, in the upper chest.

Both Pollard and Moore were hospitalized at Vaughan Regional Medical Center and released several days later, according to a hospital spokesperson. Police said Moore identified Murray as the man that shot him from a photo lineup from his hospital bed.

Tyus, King, Shelton and Jones were arrested about a half hour later, after police stopped the vehicle in which they were riding. A search of the 1986 Chevrolet Caprice Classic produced three handguns and the assault rifle, which authorities said had been reported stolen.