Harper: These coaches gotta go

Published 12:00 am Sunday, October 20, 2002

The Selma High Saints dropped their second game in a row Friday night, against the Robert E. Lee Generals, 40-14.

The game looked as if it would be a challenge for the Generals, but the Saints proved no match in the end.

On the opening kickoff, Stephan Woods returned the ball 80 yards, putting Selma High on the General’s 10 yard line.

Email newsletter signup

After catching a nine yard pass from quarterback Jai Miller, Brian Fails opened up the scoring by running 11 yards for the touchdown with 10:57 left in the game 6-0.

The Generals received the ensuing kick off, and Ronald Brooks rumbled 52 yards down the field, but then fumbled when he was tackled by Miller, who also recovered the fumble.

But the Generals struck back on their next possession.

After moving the ball from the 37 yard line to the five, Brooks scored the first touchdown for the Generals. Tony Seawright added to it when he kicked extra point 7-6.

In the second quarter, the Generals picked up momentum, and proceeded to roll over the Saints.

After the Generals moved the ball from the 41 yard line to the 27, Eric Robinson carried the ball 25 yards down the field, and put the Generals on the Saints 2 yard line.

Brooks then punched it in from two yards out to give the Generals the 12-6 lead after the ensuing two-point conversion failed .

Lee McAll then added another touchdown for the Generals on a two yard touchdown run giving the Generals the 19-6 after the ensuing extra point was good.

But the Generals weren’t done yet.

After recovering a fumble by the Saints, Brooks ran a combined 37 yards to put the Generals on the Saints 5 yard line. Brooks then punched his second touchdown of the night from five yards out to give the Generals the 26-6 lead.

After recovering the onside kick, the Generals continued to roll up the points. With Brooks rambling down the field to set up the Generals third score of the night. The ensuing extra point was good to give the Generals the lead 33-6.

The fourth quarter opened up with Antwan Cottrell scoring a 3 yard touchdown, and Wilson kicking the extra point for the Generals fourth touchdown of the night to make the score 40-6.

The Saints rallied together though, and moved the ball down the field into Generals territory.

After Miller completed a 22 yard pass to Miguel Harris, and then an 11 yard pass to Herbert Allen, Miller carried the ball himself 31 yards down the field to the 12 yard line.

On the next play, Miller completed an 11 yard pass to Allen in the end zone for a Selma High touchdown.

Miller also completed a 5 yard pass to Jarvis Wormley for the 2-point conversion giving the Generals the lead 40-14.

Defensively, the Saints were led by Tommy Williams, Jarvis Williams, Bryan Hobbs, and Robert Childers.

Jai Miller went 9-25 for 100 yards with 2 interceptions.

The Saints take on Jeff Davis next Friday night at Memorial Stadium.