Counties, cities receive storm aidPublished 11:34pm Thursday, October 4, 2012
MONTGOMERY — Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley announced Thursday that five additional counties will be eligible for public assistance that is geared toward helping communities recover from damage caused by Hurricane Isaac.
The announcement covers Covington, Dallas, Geneva, Monroe and Perry Counties. Damage assessments completed this week confirmed the five counties suffered more than $2.5 million in combined damages from Isaac. The Federal Emergency Management Agency approved the addition of these counties to the list of counties that were already able to apply for federal public assistance.
This is assistance is not for Dallas County residents who might have suffered storm or flooding damage. Instead, this money is for counties and municipalities and damages that were caused by the storm, such as road damage.
Previously, Mobile, Baldwin and Pickens Counties were approved to apply for public assistance. The public assistance for all eligible counties could include, but is not limited to, debris removal; emergency protective measures; and the repair, replacement, or restoration of disaster-damaged, publicly-owned facilities and the facilities of certain private non-profit organizations.
“The approval of public assistance for more counties will go a long way in helping communities recover from Isaac’s impact,” Bentley said. “Many areas are still dealing with the aftermath of flooding and other forms of severe weather. Public assistance will help local governments with the costs of cleanup and recovery. We appreciate the work of state and federal emergency managers in helping these communities recover.”
“The Alabama Emergency Management Agency will work with local officials to seek reimbursement for costs associated with the response to and recovery from the effects of Hurricane Isaac,” Alabama EMA Director Art Faulkner said.